Re: Fw: crash on x86_64 - mm related?

From: Kai Makisara
Date: Thu Dec 01 2005 - 16:16:29 EST

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, James Bottomley wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 11:38 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Ryan, can you test 2.6.15-rc4 and report what it does?
> >
> > The "Bad page state" messages may (should) remain, but the crashes should
> > be gone and the machine should hopefully continue functioning fine. And,
> > perhaps more importantly, you should hopefully have a _new_ message about
> > incomplete pfn mappings that should help pinpoint which driver causes
> > this..
>
> On a side note, I have Kai's patch in the scsi-rc-fixes tree which I'm
> getting ready to push. Can we get a consensus on whether it should be
> removed before I merge upwards?

I think it should be removed because it is based partly on a wrong
assumption: asynchronous writes are _not_ done together with direct i/o.
(I have also experimentally verified that this does not happen.)

The patch includes the patch I sent sent to linux-scsi on Nov 21. Nobody
has commented it and I don't know if the user pages have to be explicitly
marked dirty after the HBA has read data there. If they have to, then this
earlier patch is valid. If not, I will send a patch for 2.6.16 to remove
the latent code.

--
Kai