Re: Enabling RDPMC in user space by default

From: Zwane Mwaikambo
Date: Thu Dec 01 2005 - 11:55:13 EST

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > I agree that the NMI watchdog is very important, but my main objection is
> > trying to provide a stable interface for this, i would rather see a
> > seperate tool do it (as cumbersome as it may be) even if it meant that
> > the external tool simply did what you intend on doing in the kernel.
>
> But why an external tool when the nmi watchdog needs this anyways?

We'll probably have the NMI watchdog ticking at a lower frequency anyway
and isn't always enabled. Although i recall you want NMI watchdog on by
default too on i386 (which i don't have a problem with). The reason for
the external tool is because that allows more flexibility for profiling
tools, that is more PMCs can be used if needed by the user.