Re: Christmas list for the kernel

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 11:34:00 EST

Russell King wrote:
On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 09:43:58AM -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:

Plus I have 64 tty devices. Couldn't the tty devices be created
dynamically as they are consumed? Same for the loop and ram devices?

You do realise that the dynamic device creation for those 64 console
devices is done via the console device being _opened_ by userspace?

Which userspace program is opening 64 console devices? Surely it could be taught to use a smaller number. If you mean that open the console once creates all those devices, I think that's exactly what Jon was suggesting is not desirable (I agree).

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)