Re: Christmas list for the kernel

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 10:53:22 EST

Jon Smirl wrote:
There have been recent comments about the pace of kernel development
slowing. What are the major areas that still need major work? When the
thread slows down maybe Linus will tell us what the top ten items
really are.

To get things started here's a few that I would add:

1) graphics, it is a total mess.

2) get Xen merged, virtualization will be key on the server.
Hotplugable CPUs and memory are tied up in this one.

Serious question, when/if xen is in the kernel, is there a reason for UML? If so, why would I use UML instead of xen, and where?

I'm looking at a project eventually headed for a blade server, clearly some cost saving in the testing environment would be nice.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)