Re: [2.6 patch] do not select NET_CLS

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 00:57:45 EST

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 03:00:41PM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
> From: Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:49:14 +0100
>
> > On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 02:37:13PM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
> > >
> > > One thing we can do to prevent human
> > > mistakes, is to make the "make modules" pass do a quick "is vmlinux
> > > uptodate?" check, and if not print out an error message explaining the
> > > situation and aborting the "make modules" attempt.
> >
> > I do not quite follow you here.
>
> If the user tries to do a "make modules" without first rebuilding
> their kernel image, then the make will fail if the dependencies
> are not satisfied for the main kernel image and it is thus not
> up to date.

OK - so a simple 'make -q vmlinux' check, except that the way we utilise
make will let it fail at first build command.
That will obscufate things even more in kbuild - but I will give it a
try sometime. It will be easy to cover 95% but to reach 100%
predictability will be though.
- file dependencies is easy
- command line changes is relatively easy
- but the various scripts and user commands will be tricky..

Not on the top of the TODO list though.

Sam