2.6.14-rt13 / minimum gcc version

From: Darren Hart
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 18:20:43 EST

rt13 makes use of the gcc extension:
int __builtin_types_compatible_p (type1, type2)
which from what I can tell was first introduced to gcc in version 3.1.1
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.1.1/gcc/Other-Builtins.html

In any case, I am unable to compile rt13 with gcc-2.95. I have tried various -std args as well, but the compiler dies on __builtin_types_compatible_p.

1) Is it acceptable to require >= gcc-3.1.1 to compile a Linux kernel?

2) Would a patch/work-around for gcc-2.95 compatibility be accepted if I provide one? (assuming it is a sane implementation of course :-)

Thanks,

--
Darren Hart
IBM Linux Technology Center