Re: what is our answer to ZFS?

From: Matthias Andree
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 04:24:50 EST

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Rob Landley wrote:

> 2^64 we may actually live to see the end of someday, but it's not guaranteed.
> 2^128 becoming relevant in our lifetimes is a touch unlikely.

Some people suggested we don't know usage and organization patterns yet,
perhaps something that is very sparse can benefit from linear addressing
in a huge (not to say vastly oversized) address space. Perhaps not.

One real-world example is that we've been doing RAM overcommit for a
long time to account for but not actually perform memory allocations,
and on 32-bit machines, 1 GB of RAM already required highmem until
recently. So here, 64-bit address space comes as an advantage.

--
Matthias Andree