Re: [RFC] Documentation dir is a mess

From: Matthew Frost
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 01:06:34 EST

--- Marc Koschewski <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> [2005-11-20 20:56:59 -0500]:

> > > Do you have a proposal as to what specific files in that directory
> > > should go where? Just basing it on the source tree will not get
> > > you very far...
> >
> > Actually I think it's a good start. When I'm looking for
> > documentation, I usually just do a grep -r on the Documentation
> > directory hoping I get a correct hit and then manually look
> > through all the results I get.
> > It does get tedious, and I miss things all the time.
>
> As you're just about to maybe make a decision on reorganisation: how
> about a separation of user- and developer-relevant documentation?
> I mean, kernel boot parameters are relevant to a user whereas
> mm/* stuff is not.

There's a problem in the general conception that user/developer is a
mutex. The whole idea is that anyone may become a developer at will. A
division of Documentation/ to make an artificial distinction that the
community doesn't necessarily believe in doesn't seem too useful.

Now, I don't mean to suggest that you're wrong; I'm sure you have a valid
point. If I may rephrase, it sounds more like you're looking for
"fingertip reference" versus "in-depth documentation". The documents
that exist may not conform themselves well to that sort of division,
necessarily. However, I'm sure that there exist fingertip references
outside of Documentation/ and the kernel tree; many of them are for
'newbies'.

Is this a useful interpretation? Would an incorporation of this sort of
functional division meet your request? Does anyone have the time to
devote to it? Am I just reading out of the bit bucket?

Matt