Re: [RFC] Small PCI core patch

From: Alan Cox
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 20:04:37 EST

On Maw, 2005-11-22 at 11:47 +1100, Dave Airlie wrote:
> And funny enough unlike SCSI adapters and things for large server
> installations, nobody seems to really care enough about graphics
> cards, I've heard horror stories about how little Linux companies

Its easy to see why

The graphics market between Nvidia and ATI is extreme rivalry
There have been some ugly patent lawsuits
Good software tricks can make the weaker hardware win
Its very hard to write

So there are real secrets left in the market. Designing a SCSI
controller isn't exactly a McJob but its commodity.

Nvidia are at least trying to do what they can within what for them is
not a very easy set of market conditions for open sourcing. ATI were
doing very nice things until they won the Xbox 360 contract. An
observation that perhaps would not go amiss reaching the US legal
watchdogs.

Alan