Re: Linux 2.6.15-rc2

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 14:16:51 EST

On Sunday 20 November 2005 12:37, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Sunday 20 November 2005 12:02, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>
>>>First breakage report, tvtime, blue screen no audio. Trying slightly
>>>different .config for next build. My tuner (OR51132) seems to be
>>>permanently selected in an xconfig screen. Dunno if thats good or
>>> bad ATM.
>>
>>Update, I may be sticking my finger in the dike and hollering wolf or
>>however that old saw goes. I've now rebooted to 3 kernels where
>> tvtime was known to work, but it doesn't. Turning off the signal
>> detection shows that all I'm getting is some sort of digital noise.
>> So its time to drag in another receiver and see if its the DISH
>> convertor or my pcHDTV-3000.
>>
>>More later when I've done that.
>
>Ok, the Dish is working. My tv card, a pcHDTV-3000, worked less than 5
>minutes before I rebooted to 2.6.15-rc2 from 2.6.14.2, and now it
>doesn't even when booted back to 2.6.14.2. These were not powerdown
>reboots so that may have a bearing on this.
>
>That leaves two possibilities.
>1) The card has died (doubtfull)
>2) something in the i2c probing for 2.6.15-rc2 put it into some odd
>mode, from which tvtime seems unable to recover from.
>
>I'd turned on the nxt-200x stuff and have now turned it off, which was
>the only diff in an lsmod listing between the boots. If that module
>does something to the card as it inits, how can I undo that?

See above, a powerdown for 20 seconds, followed by a reboot to
2.6.14.2, and tvtime works just fine.

Here is the lsmod output for this boot:
[root@coyote linux-2.6.15-rc2]# lsmod
Module Size Used by
cx88_dvb 7428 0
cx8800 27276 2
v4l1_compat 13188 1 cx8800
v4l2_common 4864 1 cx8800
cx8802 9092 1 cx88_dvb
cx88xx 53024 3 cx88_dvb,cx8800,cx8802
i2c_algo_bit 8456 1 cx88xx
ir_common 7556 1 cx88xx
btcx_risc 3976 3 cx8800,cx8802,cx88xx
tuner 37032 0
tveeprom 12304 1 cx88xx
videodev 7296 4 cx8800,cx88xx
mt352 6148 1 cx88_dvb
or51132 9220 1 cx88_dvb
video_buf_dvb 4612 1 cx88_dvb
dvb_core 75304 1 video_buf_dvb
video_buf 17540 5
cx88_dvb,cx8800,cx8802,cx88xx,video_buf_dvb
lgdt330x 7580 1 cx88_dvb
cx22702 5892 1 cx88_dvb
dvb_pll 7812 3 cx88_dvb,or51132,cx22702
radeon 101888 1
drm 64020 2 radeon
nvidia_agp 6044 1
agpgart 29000 2 drm,nvidia_agp
w83627hf 24592 0
hwmon_vid 2176 1 w83627hf
i2c_isa 3584 1 w83627hf
i2c_nforce2 5760 0
i2c_core 17808 12
cx88_dvb,cx88xx,i2c_algo_bit,tuner,tveeprom,mt352,or51132,lgdt330x,cx227
02,w83627hf,i2c_isa,i2c_nforce2

Pardon the wrapping of the last line in mid-word.

Now, the difference that I can see is that I cannot build a 2.6.15-rc2
without the nxt200x stuffs without depmod spitting out a whole menu of
squawks about dvb_stuffs.

This card apparently doesn't need the nxt2000x stuffs, so how do I go
about building a working 2.6.15-rc2 kernel without it?

.configs available on request.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)