A question about comm and verifing user memory address inside a system call

From: loop lopy
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 10:07:27 EST

Hello

I have a few question I would appreaciate if you help
me with.

I need to add my own system call to the kernel.
I know how to do it, but I have a few problems.
First, I need to pass a null terminated string address
to the system call by the wrapper, which calls
int0x80.
Related to that string there is something called
'comm', however I havent found what is comm that is
related to the NULL terminated string or system call.
So, what can comm be?
Secondly, when I need to verify that the memory
address of string, passed as paramter is valid.
I can use access_ok, but is it enough just to check if
copy_from_user is successful?
So, I actually don't need to use access_ok?

I am not subscribed with the list, so I need that the
replies will be personally CC'ed (not sure exactly
what that means).

Thanks for any help and reply.
Ofer.