Re: Does Linux support powering down SATA drives?

From: James Courtier-Dutton
Date: Sat Nov 19 2005 - 20:05:07 EST

Marc Perkel wrote:
Trying to save power consumption. I have a backup drive that is used only once a day to back up the main drive. So - why should I run it more that 10 minutes a day? What I'd like to do is keep it in an off state and then at night power it on, mount it up, do the backup, unmount it, and shut it down. Can I do that?

Support is being added soon, I think the latest 2.6.15-rc1 supports passthru. I had to install an extra patch due to a bug where it used the same IDE device irrespective of one asking for /dev/sda or /dev/sdb
I think the fix will be in rc2.

hdparm -S60 works fine for me. It spins down, and therefore stay nices a cool.
hdparm -y should work, and is like an immeadiate -S
hdparm -Y is kind of dangerous at the moment. It powers down the drive, but will not come back unless the entire IDE bus goes through a reset. The feature to support that is called hotplug, but that is not implemented yet for SATA. So, basically, if you do hdparm -Y, you won't be able to wake it up again at the moment. At least hdparm -S60 is a start towards what you want.

James