Re: Does Linux support powering down SATA drives?

From: Marc Perkel
Date: Sat Nov 19 2005 - 14:15:02 EST

Alistair John Strachan wrote:

On Saturday 19 November 2005 19:01, Alan Cox wrote:

On Sad, 2005-11-19 at 09:41 -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:

Trying to save power consumption. I have a backup drive that is used
only once a day to back up the main drive. So - why should I run it more
that 10 minutes a day? What I'd like to do is keep it in an off state
and then at night power it on, mount it up, do the backup, unmount it,
and shut it down. Can I do that?

SATA not yet, USB you could however.

Or PATA, of course. I switch off two of my HDs 4 minutes after last use with the commands:

hdparm -S 48 /dev/hde
hdparm -S 48 /dev/hdg

Isn't there a passthru patch in the works to let commands, such as the one required for suspend, through to a SATA device?

So - why isn't there more SATA support. Seems like this and SMART aren't supported. What's up with that? Why is SATA harder than IDE?

--
Marc Perkel - marc@xxxxxxxxxx

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com