Re: Compaq Presario "reboot" problems

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Sat Nov 19 2005 - 00:11:47 EST

linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:

With Linux-2.4.26 I reported that if a Compaq gets rebooted while
running Linux-2.4.26, it will not be able to restart Windows 2000.
It cam restart Linux fine. Today, I tried the same thing with
Linux-2.6.13.4. It fails, too.

The symptoms are that you just "reboot" Linux. When the GRUB loader
comes up, I select my Windows-2000/professional. That M$ Crap comes
up to where it's just about to start the high-resolution screen.
Then it stops forever, no interrupts, no nothing. I need to disconnect
power and remove the battery to recover.

It appears as though Linux is still restarting as a "warm boot",
rather than a cold boot (in other words, putting magic in the
shutdown byte of CMOS) so the hardware doesn't get properly
initialized. Would somebody please check this out. When changing
operating systems, you need a cold-boot.

This sounds more like the BIOS is not properly reinitializing all hardware and expects it to be in some state which Linux does not leave it in. BIOS update available?

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx