Re: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 13:35:28 EST

Bodo Eggert wrote:

BTW: What about creating a "Native linux support" logo saying "If you find
a slot and plug it in, you can use it with a vanilla kernel on any arch and
get vendor support"? That would help against Netgear's faksimile products of
working models or ATI's claims for having "linux support".

We can do that. Well, Linus can do that... he holds the trademark, he could create a "Linux native driver" emblem. Have to be a tad careful to require open source to get it, but I don't know about requiring GPL. In the real world a single FOSS driver which could be used for Linux, BSD, and Solaris would be easier for a vendor to justify, but it would have to be covered by a license which satisfied all applications.

Even if it couldn't be part of a kernel.org source, at least if it were available in source it would satisfy better than ndis. Anyone with real expertise in what license could apply to all kernels please speak up.

None of this should imply that I have changed my mind about larger stack sizes being desirable.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)