Re: [Orinoco-devel] [2.6 patch] drivers/net/wireless/orinoco.h: "extern inline" -> "static inline"

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 22:59:54 EST

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 02:52:36PM +1100, David Gibson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 04:33:29AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > "extern inline" doesn't make much sense.
>
> Yes it does. "extern inline" tells gcc not to fall back to out of
> line version if it can't inline the function. These functions *must*
> by inlined, or they'll break horribly on Sparc, at least.

For any non-ancient gcc and !alpha, we are already telling gcc via
__attribute__((always_inline)) that it should abort compilation if it
can't inline the function.

The problem is that "extern inline" gives warnings with
-Wmissing-prototypes, and I want to add this flag to the CFLAGS since it
helps us to avoid a class of nasty runtime errors.

> David Gibson

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.