Re: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 14:30:01 EST

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
Robert Hancock wrote:

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

Why does the kernel need to be limited to 4K? for kernel preemption?

No, because it makes a whole lot of things simpler and more reliable if the kernel stack is only one page.

Someone needs to fix this. It's busted. It makes porting code between Windows and Linux and other OS's difficult to support.

Ease of porting drivers written for other OSes to Linux is clearly not a high priority for the kernel community..

What? There's more kernel apps than just ndis network drivers that get ported. ndiswrapper is busted (which is used for a lot of laptops)
without 4K stacks. My laptop is a Compaq and there isn't a Linux driver for the wireless. I also discovered Fedora Core 4 won't install
on a Compaq Presario with SATA (stacks crashes).
What are you saying? People with wireless and laptops who run Linux can't because ndiswrapper is busted without 8K stacks?

Should be a configurable option 4-16K -- set at RUN TIME on the COMMAND LINE of the BOOT LOADER. Peopl can set
profile=? why not kernel default stack size. That way Fedora, ES, AS, and Suse can run out of the box on laptops like Windows,
or is M$ going to keep owning the desktop?

Having stack size as a compile time value and having it as a runtime value are two totally different problems. I just don't see much benefit from making changing the size easy, when it is likely to be a VERY infrequent need at all.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)