[ANNOUNCE] GIT 0.99.9j aka 1.0rc3

From: Junio C Hamano
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 01:37:14 EST

GIT 0.99.9j aka 1.0rc3 is found at usual places.

Notable change since 1.0rc2 are:

- RPM packages has been split a bit differently [H. Peter
Anvin]. Simon Richter asked me not to muck with debian
packaging, so I take that Simon volunteered to update things
to match what happened to RPM side.

- On platforms and filesystems that can handle symlinks, you
can now force symbolic refs by configuration item
core.symrefsonly [Johannes Schindelin].

- http-fetch is less leaky [Petr Baudis, Nick Hengeveld].

- fsck-objects and refs tracking uses much less memory [Sergey
Vlasov].

- git wrapper is rewritten in C [Andreas Ericsson].

- diff piped to patch inside a single repository is made binary
safe [me]

There was a discussion to always use symrefs for .git/HEAD; this
will _not_ happen before 1.0. It breaks too many exiting tools
without giving them enough advance notice.

The proposed updates branch has a couple of topics I consider
1.0 material.

- git-log --since="two weeks ago", without using GNU date [Linus]
- git-rebase to use "diff-piped-to-patch" [me]
- git-branch -f to forcibly reset branch head [me]

Here is the shortlog.

Alecs King:
Documentation/git-log.txt: trivial typo fix.

Andreas Ericsson:
git-daemon: --inetd implies --syslog
C implementation of the 'git' program, take two.
Update git(7) man-page for the C wrapper.
git --help COMMAND brings up the git-COMMAND man-page.
daemon.c: fix arg parsing bugs

H. Peter Anvin:
git-core-foo -> git-foo, except the core package

Johannes Schindelin:
Add config variable core.symrefsonly
Fix tests with new git in C
Give python a chance to find "backported" modules

Jonas Fonseca:
Fix git(1) link to git-index-pack

Junio C Hamano:
Documentation: do not blindly run 'cat' .git/HEAD, or echo into it.
diff: make default rename detection limit configurable.
sha1_file.c::add_packed_git(): fix type mismatch.
git wrapper: basic fixes.
git-apply: fail if a patch cannot be applied.
git-am: --resolved.
apply: allow-binary-replacement.
diff: --full-index
tests: binary diff application.

Kevin Geiss:
git-cvsexportcommit.perl: Fix usage() output.
git-cvsexportcommit.perl: use getopts to get binary flags
git-cvsexportcommit.perl: exit with non-0 status if patch fails.
git-cvsexportcommit.perl: fix typos in output

Linus Torvalds:
Disallow empty pattern in "git grep"

Lukas Sandström:
Fix llist_sorted_difference_inplace in git-pack-redundant

Pavel Roskin:
symref support for import scripts

Petr Baudis:
Fix bunch of fd leaks in http-fetch

Sergey Vlasov:
git-fsck-objects: Free tree entries after use
Rework object refs tracking to reduce memory usage