Re: 2.6.15-rc1 - NForce4 PCI-E agpgart support?

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 13:49:44 EST

On Wednesday 16 November 2005 18:25, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 11/16/05, Alistair John Strachan <s0348365@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 November 2005 15:09, Mark Knecht wrote:
[snip]

> > > Is there any requirement/need/value for something like a PCI-E-gart?
> > > Or does this relocation requirement go out the window somehow when a
> > > graphics device moves to PCI-Express?
> >
> > Yes, you don't need it with PCIe.
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Alistair.
>
> Thanks Alistair.
>
> So, should I be able to see better grapohics performance on my Radeon
> PCI-E device with 2.6.15-rc1? Are there setups I should test for you
> guys? (I'm not a developer.)

I think the latest drm tree (which might be part of -rc1, I haven't checked
the changelogs) includes support for several PCIe radeons. Your best bet
would probably be to compile in DRM (kernel side), check dmesg that it's
detected your card, then download the latest snapshot of X11R6 6.9/7.0 and
build it.

The alternative is ATI's proprietary driver which probably already supports
your card.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.