Re: [Patch 1/4] Delay accounting: Initialization

From: Shailabh Nagar
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 20:44:12 EST

Peter Chubb wrote:

> Andrew> Shailabh Nagar <nagar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> + *ts = sched_clock();
>

> Andrew> I'm not sure that it's kosher to use sched_clock() for
> Andrew> fine-grained timestamping like this. Ingo had issues with it
> Andrew> last time this happened?
>
> It wasn't Ingo, it was Andi Kleen... for my Microstate Accounting
> patches, which do very similar things to Shailabh's patchsetm, but
> using /proc and a system call instead (following Solaris's lead)

Were these the comments from Andi to which you refer:
http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0503.1/1237.html

The objections to microstate overhead seemed to stem from the syscall
overhead, not use of sched_clock() per se.

Andi, Ingo,

Are there problems with using sched_clock()for timestamping if one is prepared
to live with them not necessarily being nanosecond accurate ? I'm trying to search
the archives etc. but if you can respond with any quick comments, that'd be very
helpful.

Thanks,
Shailabh