Re: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Mon Nov 14 2005 - 21:23:20 EST

Lee Revell wrote:
As long as preemption is disabled when the driver code is executing

Um, but it's really really bad for drivers to do that.

Normally yes.. but that may be a sacrifice that may have to be made considering what ndiswrapper is doing - inserting blobs of code into the kernel that were never designed to run there. I would think that would be something you would want to do with such a driver regardless of stack switching - do we have any way of knowing whether the Windows driver is doing some timing-dependent thing that will cause bad things to happen if we take away the CPU from it in the middle?

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx