Re: + perfmon2-reserve-system-calls.patch added to -mm tree

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Nov 14 2005 - 20:18:24 EST

Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >  #ifdef __KERNEL__
> >  #define __NR__exit __NR_exit
>
> Hmm, I had sent an earlier patch to paulus that reserves 278 and
> 279 for spu_run and spu_create and that apparently got dropped.
>
> Could I have those two numbers or is there already an established
> user based for the perfmon2 numbers that would take preference?

aargh. Any time anyone dinks with the syscall tables I have tons of fun
fixing up rejects. It doesn't help that both Stephane and Christoph's
patches were fairly broken.

Rules:

a) Keep unistd.h and the syscall tables in sync.

b) Keep ppc32 and powerpc[64] in sync

c) Add prototypes to syscalls.h (When the implementation goes in -
obviously not relevant when we're just reserving syscall slots)

d) Some architectures have multiple syscall tables. Stephane, you
missed arch/ia64/ia32/ia32_entry.S, for example. But then, that looks
to be seriously out of date anyway. No idea what's going on there.

e) review your work carefully. Grep the tree for, say, `getxattr' (or
any other syscall name which is unique-looking and which you expect all
architectures to implement).

Anyway, I have a shower of fixup patches here. Hopefully it all landed OK.