Re: [RFC] EDAC and the sysfs

From: Greg KH
Date: Mon Nov 14 2005 - 17:44:55 EST

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 02:14:19PM -0800, Doug Thompson wrote:

> I am trying to design the sysfs interface tree for the
> new set of EDAC modules that are waiting for this
> interface, before being put into the kernel.
>
> Currently the original EDAC (bluesmoke) has its own
> /proc directory (/proc/mc) with files and a directory
> (0,1,2,...)for each memory controller on the system.
> This will be removed and the new information interface
> will be placed in the sysfs.
>
> One proposal is to place the information in
> /sys/devices/system in the following directories:

Why not use /sys/firmware/ instead?

Or do you want to use the struct device stuff?

> For EDAC general memory ECC controls and information
> files:
>
> /sys/devices/systems/edac/mc/

What kind of controls and files?

> For PCI Parity Error detection controls and
> information files:
>
> /sys/devices/system/edac/pci

That kind of controls and files?

> In addition /sys/devices/system/edac/mc/ would have
> directories:
>
> mc0/
> mc1/
>
> for each memory controller's specific controls and
> information.

Again, what kind of controls and information?

> Currently the similiar error detection device
> /sys/devices/system/machinecheck resides here are
> well.
>

> The alternative layout would be to use the /sys/class
> directory when nested-classes become available:

They are in 2.6.15-rc1, but you _really_ don't want to use them, they
are a huge pain, and I will be getting rid of them, along with all
struct class_device stuff in the near future. See the archives for
details, or it's summarized here:
http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/driver_model_changes.html

> /sys/class/edac/mc/...
>
> and
>
> /sys/class/edac/pci/...
>
> But edac doesn't quite seem to fit here.

I agree.

> I have failed to date to really find a policy or set
> of rules of use for the sysfs as to what goes where
> for such items as EDAC. After searching the web,
> articles and thinking about this for some time now, I
> am requesting comments on the sysfs model for where
> EDAC would fit best.

What exactly does EDAC do (and what does it stand for anyway?)

thanks,

greg k-h