Re: ADI Blackfin patch for kernel 2.6.14

From: Robin Getz
Date: Mon Nov 14 2005 - 15:53:49 EST

Andrew wrote:
What _is_ a bluefin, anyway?

He he -- I will have to tell the people doing the ads that their money could be better spend on other things...

Since you asked - The Blackfin Processor includes the common 4 processor Ps that people request for embedded designs - price, power, performance & penguins.

The Blackfin Processor manufactured by Analog Devices is based on the MicroSignal Architecture jointly developed by Analog Devices and Intel. It combines a RISC programming model, with high performance signal processing and power efficiency - and is running uClinux today.

For example - we are running a completely open source WiSIP Phone - via LinPhone (VoIP) & a 802.11b Compact Flash card, on a processor which is less than $5.00 (BF531).

I personally think that uClinux on a $5.00 processor will increase uClnux's use in the embedded market, where it may not have been looked at in the past due to the price of the computation power that it has required. You now can make a board that runs the Linux networking stack for under $20 (including CPU, SDRAM, and Flash, and 10/100 Phy).

Greg wrote:
Does this arch have corporate support behind it to maintain it over time, or is something you are going to do in your spare time (which is fine, just curious.)

As Bernd indicated - there is a small dedicated team (about 12 people, split between the Norwood, Munich, and Shanghai) from Analog Devices - testing, maintaining and supporting the ports we have done for the toolchain, bootLoader, and kernel. We do this primarily through our web site at blackfin.uclinux.org - We answer questions, review patches, write documentation, and interact with the over 1,200 registered developers/users, and 38,000 unregistered users downloading the over 576 Terabytes/month from our site.

The process is like maintaining any other part of the kernel:
- Try to make sure it works on all releases (harder to do with a full
arch, I know, but not impossible.)

A critical part of our development team is our full time testers. We take the investment in test pretty seriously - we were the first no-mmu architecture to run LTP, and ported this to Tinderbox as an overall test tool - to keep cvs as stable as possible. Right now, our tinderbox clients pull from our cvs, but it shouldn't be too difficult to make things pull from the proper tree once we are in it.

- keep it up to date with bugfixes and the such
- be responsive to questions from other developers
- accept patches from others and intregrate them into the mainline
version in a reasonable ammount of time.

Right now, we do most of this on our project web site - I think it is just a matter of also keeping track of the lkml, and answering questions that pop up here.

-Robin