Re: merge status

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Nov 14 2005 - 15:12:37 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

it's my contributors who drop me in it
by leaving their patch sets until you declare a kernel, dumping the
integration testing on me in whatever time window is left.

Yes, I think I'm noticing an uptick in patches as soon as a kernel is
released.

It's a bit irritating, and is unexpected (here, at least). I guess people
like to hold onto their work for as long as possible so when they release
it, it's in the best possible shape.

I guess all we can do is to encourage people to merge up when it's working,
not when it's time to merge it into mainline.

One could just say "if I don't have it by the time 2.6.n is released, it
goes into 2.6.n+2", but that's probably getting outside the realm of
practicality.

Consider that people want to send you something which will work with the new kernel and are holding back until they can send you something which has a higher chance of working as delivered. If you want to avoid having a rediff be part of the integration testing I thought you were trying to avoid.

I interpreted that as people trying to make stuff easier for you.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)