Re: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks

From: Giridhar Pemmasani
Date: Mon Nov 14 2005 - 14:53:43 EST

Benjamin LaHaise wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 08:00:07PM +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:
>> Couldn't ndiswrapper have its own private stack to switch to when
>> calling the windows driver, or are there still things hanging off the
>> end of the stack area?

This has been discussed sometime back. Search for "ndiswrapper" on lkml.
See, e.g.,
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=112602638406796&w=2

> It's possible, but would need a change to how the kernel finds the thread
> local data (which is currently done by masking off the stack pointer).
> There are certainly a few ways of doing this, like using tr to find out
> which cpu we're on and then indexing into the thread info state.

If any such alternate ways are used instead of relying on stack pointer, we
could have implemented private stacks for threads in ndiswrapper (and
driverloader).

Giri