Re: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Mon Nov 14 2005 - 13:02:59 EST

On Monday 14 November 2005 14:49, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Llu, 2005-11-14 at 05:38 -0800, Alex Davis wrote:
> > This will break ndiswrapper. Why can't we just leave this in and let
> > people choose?
>
> If we spent our entire lives waiting for people to fix code nothing
> would ever happen. Removing 8K stacks is a good thing to do for many
> reasons. The ndis wrapper people have known it is coming for a long
> time, and if it has a lot of users I'm sure someone in that community
> will take the time to make patches.

I honestly don't know if this is the case, but is it conceivable that no patch
could be written to resolve this, because the Windows drivers themselves only
respect Windows stack limits (which are presumably still 8K?).

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.