Re: ADI Blackfin patch for kernel 2.6.14

From: Luke Yang
Date: Mon Nov 14 2005 - 02:34:53 EST

On 11/13/05, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 07:26:31PM +0800, Luke Yang wrote:
> > > One concern when adding a new architecture is: will it be maintained
> > > long-term? We don't want to merge an arch and then have it bitrot. Who is
> > > behind this port, and how do we know that they'll still be around and doing
> > > things in two years' time?
> >
> > I don't clearly know the process of maintaining an arch in kernel.
> > But I am sure we can follow the right process. My question is: How do
> > they maintain the m68knommu arch? I think it need the uclinux patch to
> > run on real platfrom. What is the process like?
>
> The process is like maintaining any other part of the kernel:
> - Try to make sure it works on all releases (harder to do with a full
> arch, I know, but not impossible.)

Does this include all the rc releases? and the 2.6.14.x releases?

> - keep it up to date with bugfixes and the such

So the process is: when kernel release a new version, we should
update our arch related files to the new kernel, then send you the
patch. Am I right?

> - be responsive to questions from other developers

No problem. We have a website(blackfin.uclinux.org) and a forum.

> - accept patches from others and intregrate them into the mainline
> version in a reasonable ammount of time.

I totally understand.

> Does this arch have corporate support behind it to maintain it over
> time, or is something you are going to do in your spare time (which is
> fine, just curious.)

Blackfin is one of the main DSP products of ADI. ADI has a growing
team supporting. I am one of the members.

regards,
Luke Yang