Re: ADI Blackfin patch for kernel 2.6.14

From: Luke Yang
Date: Mon Nov 14 2005 - 02:34:53 EST

On 11/12/05, Andrey Volkov <avolkov@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Luke Yang wrote:
> >>Does this architecture support SMP? I see it's BROKEN_ON_SMP, but there
> >>seems to be some smp-style stuff in there.
> >

> > It doesn't support SMP now.
>
> Wrong, how about dual core BF56x subfamily? It's true SMP beast.
> Or you are try to told that "current SOFTWARE arch doesn't
> support it yet", am I right?

Yes, BF56x does have two cores in one chip. But we are not going to
make it a SMP system. The second core is going to be used as a pure
DSP, do some encode/decode work. Remember Blackfin itself is a DSP
anyway.

> Also, returning to previous posts, ALL BF5xx have normal
> MMU (which possible not so useful for DSP tasks).

Actually current BF5xx DSPs don't have a real MMU. It runs uClinux.
The called "MMU" in the mannual is only a cache management and memory
protect unit, not a virtual memory unit.