Re: [plug] smb client timeout problem - FIXED

From: Ian Kent
Date: Sun Nov 13 2005 - 23:35:31 EST

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Steve Boak wrote:

> Update...
>
> Just in case someone else comes up with this problem, I found the answer by
> combining all the information (more hints actually) that I gleaned from
> google, and then taking a stab in the dark :-)
>
> The simple fix is to use the cifs filesystem instead of smbfs when mounting
> remote samba shares on a Linux box. Apparently cifs has superceded smbfs and
> works much better in this case, but I still need to use smbfs when mounting
> shares from my windows box. Information is rather hard to find on the subject
> of samba/smbfs/cifs.

smbfs is currently unmaintained and likely to move to depricated status
some time soon, so bug fixes are probably not being done.

I believe CIFS will be recommened for everything and should work for
everything in the near future or already does.

> I had to recompile the kernel to get cifs support.
>
> Not sure of the finer details yet, but at least now I have a working system
> again. Here's the combinations I have found that works:
>
> (Note that all my tests were done with at least kernel 2.6.13, Samba 3.0.20b,
> and Debian Testing on both machines)
>
> Linux client mount -t cifs ... shares from Samba server
> Linux client mount -t smbfs ... shares from Windows-2000
> Windows client uses smbfs? shares from Samba server

Interesting to see that this is still a problem in 2.6.13.
Have you tried 2.6.14?

Anyone know the status of CIFS?

Ian