Re: [uml-devel] Re: Why did oldconfig's behavior change in 2.6.15-rc1?

From: Rob Landley
Date: Sat Nov 12 2005 - 19:50:19 EST

On Saturday 12 November 2005 17:49, Roman Zippel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Rob Landley wrote:
> > Why did oldconfig switch off CONFIG_MODE_SKAS? It didn't do that before.
> > Hmmm... Rummage, rummage... Darn it, it's position dependent. _And_
> > version dependent.
>
> It's _not_ position dependent, but the behaviour with multiple equal
> symbols is undefined.

I just want a minimally expressed config. I've jumped through a number of
hoops trying to get "allnoconfig plus these symbols" to work.

Setting .config to my symbol list and doing old config prompts a lot, doing
yes "" | oldconfig sets lots of crap by default (since not all default values
are n), and doing yes "n" | oldconfig goes into an endless loop every time
it's prompting for a number or some such. You have to start with
allnoconfig. Appending the new symbols and re-running oldconfig worked for a
number of versions, until now. Now you have to insert the new symbols at the
beginning.

I could presumably also work around the new breakage via following allnoconfig
with a sed -i invocation to remove the appropriate "# blah is not set" lines
before appending the symbols. (Of course it means that the config symbol
list has to be fed into a for loop instead of being expressed in the same
format as config, which sucks deeply. Insert at the beginning works until it
changes again...)

> > Ok, now I have to put the new entries at the _beginning_. Appending them
> > doesn't work anymore, it now ignores any symbol it's already seen, so you
> > can't easily start with allnoconfig, switch on just what you want, and
> > expect oldconfig to do anything intelligent.
>
> Now you can put them in allno.config instead and allnoconfig will do the
> right thing.

Testing...

Ok, that worked. Weird and totally unituitive name for a miniconfig, but oh
well.

Is this documented anywhere?

Rob