Bootfailure with shuttle AN50R mainboard

From: Hans Klotz
Date: Sat Nov 12 2005 - 15:32:20 EST

Hi

SuSe 10.0 (Kernel 2.6.13) crashes when booting my system with
a Shuttle AN50R main board (AMD 64 processor). I am using
standard runlevel 3 to avoid problems from the graphical system.

With the standard grub paramaters, the systems seems to boot
fine and a login prompt appears. However, at this point the
system does not reply to actions form the keyboard and it
does not reply to ping from the local net.

I have tried acpi=oldboot (no difference) and acpi=off
(hangs at initialization of pci bus) on the command line.
Finally, I set all actions, that where not on 'ignore',
to 'notify' in /etc/sysconfig/powersave/events; further,
I increased the debug level to 31.

The only suspicious line in /var/log/boot.mst ist last one:
<notice>killproc: kill(25405,3)
/var/log/messages does not contain entries that look suspicios
to me.

The rescue system works fine (includeing power down).

There are 2 SATA disks in the system. /dev/sda1 is for swap,
/dev/sda2 for root; the remaining partitions are not mounted
at the present stage.

Has anyone experience with this phenomenon or even a remedy for it?

Hans Klotz