Re: Patches for Kernel 2.6.14 on kernel.org

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Fri Nov 11 2005 - 18:19:44 EST

On 11/11/05, Miro Dietiker, MD Systems <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> As of the kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/README all patches need to be
> applied (bigger than the
> current local version)
>
> For the current 2.6.14.2 this seems not to be true (The patch 2.6.14.1
> seems to be included in
> 2.6.14.2)

The 2.6.14.2 patch is to be applied against 2.6.14 - the -stable
patches are not incremental.

> Is this a "new" undocumented general behaviour such as e.g. patches
> always based on the
> latest 3-Number version or is this a small mistake?

Not new, no mistake.

http://sosdg.org/~coywolf/lxr/source/Documentation/applying-patches.txt

Read the "The 2.6.x kernels" and the "The 2.6.x.y kernels" sections.

> In any case: One of the described sources need to be corrected, I think.

I think the README should refer people to
Documentation/applying-patches.txt for more details. I'll submit a
patch in a little while to do that.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>