Re: [ANNOUNCE] GIT 0.99.9g

From: Johannes Schindelin
Date: Fri Nov 11 2005 - 09:18:55 EST

Hi,

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> May I *STRONGLY* urge you to name that something different. "lost+found"
> is a name with special properties in Unix; for example, many backup
> solutions will ignore a directory with that name.

Two reasons against renaming:

- we call it fsck-objects for a reason. We are working on a file system,
which just so happens to be implemented in user space, not kernel space.
If lost+found has to find a new name, so does fsck-objects.

- lost+found has a special meaning, granted. So, a backup would not be
made of it. So what? I *don't* want it backup'ed. I want to repair what
was wrong with it. When I repaired it, the result is stored somewhere
else. To backup lost+found would make as much sense as to backup /tmp.

Ciao,
Dscho