ALSA in 2.6.14: RTC timer breaks MIDI

From: Marek Szuba
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 11:48:04 EST

(I'm having problems with access to the ALSA bug tracker, that's why I'm reporting this issue here)

Hello everyone,

A couple of days ago I tried to play a MIDI file on a 2.6.14 box with emu10k1 for sound (Audigy 2 ZS) and was surprised to hear that the sequencer no longer works - or to be exact, when having it play any MIDI song it only starts playing the first note in each channel and leaves them like that, playing the same tones until the player's closed. Going back to 2.6.13 made the problem go away; on the other hand, even an upgrade of ALSA userspace components to the latest version doesn't help with 2.6.14.

Having investigated a bit, I found out the problem lies with the newly-added "Use RTC as default sequence timer" option; turning it off and recompiling the kernel lets MIDI be played as before.

By the way, shouldn't snd-rtctimer be automatically pulled in if the aforementioned option is set and MIDI drivers are loaded? I have noticed the only way to make it actually be used by other ALSA modules is to have it manually loaded before all the others, as it doesn't get loaded on its own and loading it after the others doesn't cause it to be used, at least not automatically. Of course regardless of whether and how this module is loaded doesn't affect the fact that as long as the aforementioned option is set, MIDI remains useless; recompilation is the only way.

PS. In case it is not clear, in the setup in question all ALSA components are built as modules.

Regards,
--
MS