Re: merge status

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 03:41:43 EST

On Wed, Nov 09 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:
> James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > it's my contributors who drop me in it
> > by leaving their patch sets until you declare a kernel, dumping the
> > integration testing on me in whatever time window is left.
>
> Yes, I think I'm noticing an uptick in patches as soon as a kernel is
> released.
>
> It's a bit irritating, and is unexpected (here, at least). I guess people
> like to hold onto their work for as long as possible so when they release
> it, it's in the best possible shape.

Sometimes I do hold on to stuff for a little while because I don't think
it's quite ready yet, but that's not because I don't want it out there.
It's more of a "I don't feel like spending 1-2 hours making and testing
a -mm version", really. And if I just send you the vanilla patch for
something I know you have to massage to get to apply, a cloud of guilt
builds up over my head. With so many patches in -mm, I don't want to put
that extra strain on you.

--
Jens Axboe