Reading BIOS information from a kernel driver

From: Steven Schveighoffer
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 15:35:47 EST

I am trying to read a string that the BIOS has placed into memory.

The BIOS placed the string into memory at real-mode address F000:FA00
(i.e. physical address FFA00h).

1. Is there a linear address which always contains this address
location? i.e. if there is a spot where I can do:

char * mystring = (char *)0xMagicAddress;

2. If not, how do I map a linear address to this physical address so I
can read it?

I'm pretty sure that the string can be read, but I would prefer to know
exactly where the string is located before looking. For example, the
following command finds the string:

dd if=/proc/kcore bs=1024 count=3000 | grep mystring

-Steve