openat()

From: Ulrich Drepper
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 14:16:41 EST

Can we please get the openat() syscall implemented? I know Linus already declared this is a good idea and I can only stress that it is really essential for some things. It is today impossible to write correct code which uses long pathnames since all these operations would require the use of chdir() which affect the whole POSIX process and not just one thread. In addition we have the reduction of race conditions.

I remember having seen an implementation at some time. Can somebody dig it up? If there is nothing available I'll try to get some code submitted.

I'm ignoring the discussions about alternative streams for files here, so don't bother arguing with the.

--
â Ulrich Drepper â Red Hat, Inc. â 444 Castro St â Mountain View, CA â