kernel crash debugging

From: Lee
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 09:22:31 EST

Hello,

I am running kernel version '2.6.13-gentoo-r3'

My hardware is as follows:
- motherboard: Tyan Tiger 230T
- processors: 2 Pentium II 1.13Ghz
- memory: 1.5GB

I have been having intermittent lockups for a while now.

At first, I thought it had something to do with vmware, but this is no occuring with a non-tainted kernel.

I recently read a thread on the mailing list about how having preempting enabled can hide bugs, so I have disabled all forms of preempting, but I still am unable to determine the cause.

I have also attached a second system to this system via a null modem cable and am capturing kernel output by redirecting its console to the serial port.

However, the kernel is not outputing any information when it locks up.

Can anyone advise on the following:
- determining why the kernel is locking up
- locating where in the code is causing the lock up
- alternative methods of debugging
- increasing the console log level

I have attached my kernel config file to this email.

Please advise,
Lee

--
Lee
linuxtwidler@xxxxxxxxx

08:06:58 up 2 days, 13:17, 0 users, load average: 0.24, 0.12, 0.06