Elaboration on module compilation process ?

From: Mukund JB.
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 05:35:40 EST

Dear All,

I have an issue with compiling a simple kernel module over the 2.4.20-8 kernel on my X86 machine(RH Rel 9).
I guess I touched some of the header files in the kernel source dir i.e. /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8.
So I am getting the Compile time error.

Where as it works fine on the other machine next to me running the same RH 9.
So, I tried to simply fix this by replacing the entire Linux kernel source directory on my system with the one nxt to me.

YES, I could get the module compiled smoothly now. But I am not able to load the module into the running kernel.
I end up getting the "kernel-module version mismatch" error.

I guess if I modify the kernel version in a particular file in the kernel sources I would be able to fix it.
Can some help me suggesting where does the module compilation process pick the kernel version from the source directories?

Thanks & regards,
Mukund Jampala