Re: udev on 2.6.14 fails to create /dev/input/event2 on T40 Thinkpad

From: Greg KH
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 23:44:15 EST

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 10:30:19PM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 10:24:34AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > > from Debian with a post 2.6.14 kernel, and it wasn't working for me.
> >
> > I see that 073 is in unstable, which fixed a lot of problems with 071,
> > 072 and 073 due to Debian configuration issues. I suggest you try that.
>
> I've just tried udev 073 from Debian unstable, with a freshly pulled
> kernel 2.6.14 from earlier in the evening on 11/7. Same failure:
>
> /dev/input only has /dev/input/event3, and is missing the event0, event1,
> and event2 files that is present if I boot 2.6.14.
>
> So is this a Debian bug, a kernel bug, or a udev bug?

Debian bug, as this version of udev, and kernel, running on a different
distro, works just fine for me here :)

> What is going on? I don't know enough about recent changes to udev
> and/or the events sent to udev to start debugging this, but this is
> something that works in 2.6.14 and fails post-2.6.14....

The input subsystem moved to handle nested class devices, so udev had to
change to handle this properly. I bet however Debian does the initial
population of the /dev tree is messed up somehow, as that is what it
looks like is happening (event3 I bet is from a USB device that is added
after init starts?)

> So this is what I believe Andrew would call "a regression". :-)

I call it a "Debian mess"...

Good luck,

greg k-h