Re: [RFC 2/2] Hugetlb COW

From: David Gibson
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 22:46:27 EST

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 03:47:55PM -0600, Adam Litke wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 15:38 -0600, Adam Litke wrote:
> > [RFC] COW for hugepages
> > (Patch originally from David Gibson <dwg@xxxxxxxxxxx>)
> >
> > This patch implements copy-on-write for hugepages, hence allowing
> > MAP_PRIVATE mappings of hugetlbfs.
> >
> > This is chiefly useful for cases where we want to use hugepages
> > "automatically" - that is to map hugepages without the knowledge of
> > the code in the final application (either via kernel hooks, or with
> > LD_PRELOAD). We can use various heuristics to determine when
> > hugepages might be a good idea, but changing the semantics of
> > anonymous memory from MAP_PRIVATE to MAP_SHARED without the app's
> > knowledge is clearly wrong.
>
> I forgot to mention in the original post that this patch is currently
> broken on ppc64 due to a problem with update_mmu_cache(). The proper
> fix is understood but backed up behind the powerpc merge activity.

Now that the merge tree and 64k pages have been pulled into mainline I
updated this patch, and sent it off to paulus. You'll fnid it under
the subject "ppc64: Make hash_preload() and update_mmu_cache() cope
with hugepages".

--
David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code
david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson