Re: Database regression due to scheduler changes ?

From: David Lang
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 21:05:44 EST

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Nick Piggin wrote:

Martin J. Bligh wrote:

Im also considering adding balance on fork for ppc64, it seems like a
lot of people like to run stream like benchmarks and Im getting tired of
telling them to lock their threads down to cpus.

Please don't screw up everything else just for stream. It's a silly frigging benchmark. There's very little real-world stuff that really
needs balance on fork, as opposed to balance on clone, and it'll slow
down everything else.

Long lived and memory intensive cloned or forked tasks will often
[but far from always :(] want to be put on another memory controller
from their siblings.

On workloads where there are lots of short lived ones (some bloated
java programs), the load balancer should normally detect this and
cut the balance-on-fork/clone.

although if the primary workload is short-lived tasks and you don't do balance-on-fork/clone won't you have trouble ever balancing things? (anything that you do move over will probably exit quickly and put you right back where you started)

at the risk of a slowdown from an extra test it almost sounds like what is needed is to get feedback from the last scheduled balance attempt and use that to decide per-fork what to do.

for example say the scheduled balance attempt leaves a per-cpu value that has it's high bit tested every fork/clone (and then rotated left 1 bit) and if it's a 1 do a balance for this new process.

with a reasonable sized item (I would guess the default int size would probably be the most efficiant to process, but even 8 bits may be enough) the scheduled balance attempt can leave quite an extensive range of behavior, from 'always balance' to 'never balance' to 'balance every 5th and 8th fork', etc.

Of course there are going to be cases where this fails. I haven't
seen significant slowdowns in tests, although I'm sure there would
be some at least small regressions. Have you seen any? Do you have
any tests in mind that might show a problem?

even though people will point out that it's a brin-dead workload (that should be converted to a state machine) I would expect that most fork-per-connection servers would show problems if the work per connection is small

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare