Re: Database regression due to scheduler changes ?

From: Brian Twichell
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 18:06:27 EST

David Lang wrote:

If I am understanding the data you posted, it looks like you are useing sched_yield extensivly in your database.

Yes, I've seen problems in the past with workloads that use sched_yield heavily.

But bear in mind, the ~2700 sched_yields shown in the schedstats occurred over a 9 minute period. That means that sched_yield is being called at a rate of around 5 per second -- this is not a heavy user of sched_yield.

To put this into a broader perspective, this workload has around 270 tasks, and the context switch rate is around
45,000 per second.