RE: negative timeout can be set up by setsockopt system call

From: Ram Gupta
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 14:30:10 EST

On 11/7/05, Ram Gupta <ram.gupta5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/4/05, Nish Aravamudan <nish.aravamudan@xxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > In Ram's specific case, I think, the call path is sys_setsockopt() ->
> > sock_setsockopt() -> sock_set_timeout, which has a definition of:
> >
> > static int sock_set_timeout(long *timeo_p, char __user *optval, int
> optlen)
>
> >> Exactly right.

Ok.

> > Ram, what is the expected behavior of negative values in the timeval?
> > And what are you seeing happen right now?
> >
> > As of 2.6.14, looks like we convert any non-zero values into jiffies
> > and store them in sk->sk_{rcv,snd}timeo...
> >
> I don't see any problem from the kernel side but the application
> times out immediately causing certain failures as the schedule_timeout
> returns immediately in case of negative values. Shouldn't there be a
> check for negative values and return error to the application so that
> it can handle it.

I mean more along the lines of what does a man-page say the kernel
should be doing if you request a negative timeout? More explicitly,
what made you think negative timeouts should have a specific effect?

>> The man page is silent about the timeout behaviour in case of its being negative. I believe that negative timeout is a mistake on behalf of an application and hence should be treated as such (i.e should be notified accordingly)

When you say schedule_timeout() returns immediately, I assume your
logs are filling up with "schedule_timeout: wrong timeout ..." ? (You
may need to bump your loglevel). If not, then schedule_timeout() isn't
getting a negative value.

>> Yes I am getting the "schedule_timeout: wrong timeout ..." messages so I am sure the timeout has negative value.

Thanks,
Nish

regards
Ram Gupta