Re: 3D video card recommendations

From: Mark Knecht
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 14:23:21 EST

On 11/7/05, Lee Revell <rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 10:01 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > I'm using the radeon driver from the Xorg-X11 package. The only
> > problem I've run into which remains unsolved is that when I run either
> > Quicken or IE6 under Crossover Office 5.0 all of the icons in those
> > windows programs show up in black and white, not color, so they are
> > somewhat unreadable. Other than that no real problems.
> >

> Um, didn't you say you were still getting audio underruns correlated
> with display activity? I still think it's a bug in the Xorg radeon
> driver.
>
> Lee

Hi Lee,
It very well could be a video issue causing my xruns. That's been
the biggest, but not olny, factor, but I don't know any more. I've
gone down so many paths that haven't yielded results.

I've tried the NoAccel and RenderAccel experiments you suggested.
You also mentioned not loading DRI which I guess isn't possible anyway
with a PCI-Express card. Anyway, I don't have it loaded.

While I do get xruns, they are happening lately only a couple of
times a day, and usually very late in the day after the machine has
been running for 12+ hours. If I pull Jack back to 256/2 then I don't
think I get them at all so I'm living with it for now and hoping for a
solution one of these days. Low latency really only matters to me when
recording which is <5% of the time.

I'm most interested in a kernel developer finding the time to fix
the IRQoff latency testing on 64-bit machines so I can look at that.

In case the question comes to mind for others, this HDSP 9652 sound
card runs for months at a time at 64/2 in my older Via 32-bit machine.
The problem only surfaced when I moved it to my new AMD64 machine.

Anyway, that's status. It's a frustration, not a killer issue.

Cheers,
Mark