Re: 2.6.14: CR4 not needed to be inspected on the 486 anymore?

From: Ondrej Zary
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 14:02:36 EST

linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
No, you won't. #UD and #GP will not (I hesitate to say never, but other
than a processor bug, I believe that is correct) reset the processor.
And CR4 is not "undocumented", even on 486.

Yes it is. The i486 Programmer's reference manual documents only
to CR3.

The manual might be older than the newer 486 CPUs.
And don't forget that not every 486 is Intel. There are at least Cyrix, AMD and UMC with interesting Am5x86-P75 and Cx5x86 too.

--
Ondrej Zary