Re: Whys and hows of initrds

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Sun Nov 06 2005 - 18:35:47 EST

On Sunday 06 November 2005 17:24, grfgguvf@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
> I don't know if the LKML is a technical kernel development list or a
> newbie support list (or both?) so maybe I'm posting to the wrong
> place.
>
> Questions:
> * Why is an initrd needed?
> * What does it do?

Though there are reasons beyond this, ultimately an initrd is useful primarily
to distributors, who provide too many drivers to build them all in (the
resulting kernel image would be too large to boot).

In particular, filesystem, RAID and SCSI drivers (required for rootfs to exist
before calling onto init), are put into such an image.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.