Re: disable tsc with seccomp

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sat Nov 05 2005 - 10:38:18 EST

On Saturday 05 November 2005 14:47, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This changeset is backing out an useful feature I implemented some month
> ago:
>
> http://kernel.org/hg/linux-2.6/?cs=2fd4e5f089df
>
> Anything that can strengthen security is needed, the covert channels are
> theoretically possible and this is a fact, you don't need hyperthreading
> for that.

It was useless, you can get exactly the same information by using RDPMC
on perfctr 0 which always runs the NMI watchdog and counts all cycles too.

And even with that I don't want to have such checks in the context switch
for something that is at best theoretical. Letting it in would open the
floodgates for making the context switch really slow long term.

-Andi