Re: 2.6.14-rt1 (now rt6)

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 21:35:59 EST

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 14:33 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> i have released the 2.6.14-rt1 tree, which can be downloaded from the
> usual place:
>
> http://redhat.com/~mingo/realtime-preempt/
>
> this release is mainly about ktimer fixes: it updates to the latest
> ktimer tree from Thomas Gleixner (which includes John Stultz's latest
> GTOD tree), it fixes TSC synchronization problems on HT systems, and
> updates the ktimers debugging code.
>
> These together could fix most of the timer warnings and annoyances
> reported for 2.6.14-rc5-rt kernels. In particular the new
> TSC-synchronization code could fix SMP systems: the upstream TSC
> synchronization method is fine for 1 usec resolution, but it was not
> good enough for 1 nsec resolution and likely caused the SMP bugs
> reported by Fernando Lopez-Lezcano and Rui Nuno Capela.
>
> Please re-report any bugs that remain.

I've been running 2.6.14-rt6 fine in my smp system the whole day and
suddenly, just a moment ago, I suddenly started getting key repeats and
screensaver bliiiinks [not my typo]. No HIGH_RES_TIMERS, with
PREEMPT_RT. No messages in the logs or dmesg.

Doing a loop with "sleep 10" bbracketed by calls to date gives me
sporadic results:

--- Fri Nov 4 18:30:25 PST 2005
10
---